Thursday, July 26, 2012

Crockpot Yogurt

 My cousin told me about making yogurt in the crockpot, and I thought Yes!!!!! I buy organic yogurt, at $4-5 a quart, I can definitely make it cheaper!

The Recipe:
1 gallon of milk (whole milk is preferred, but if you use another grade, just add in a packet of gelatin when you add the yogurt)
1/2 cup of yogurt with live and active cultures (I used Stoneyfield, it doesn't matter if it's flavored, it makes plain no matter what)
1 packet of plain gelatin (only if you are not using whole milk)

my crockpot :)

Cook the 1/2 gallon of milk for 2 hours and 45 minutes on low.

Turn off the crockpot, and let the warm milk sit for 3 hours.
Then add in the yogurt, and gelatin (ONLY if not using whole milk.



This is after the 5 hours and 45 minutes, just before putting in the yogurt.

I apologize, it won't let me flip this picture around,
but this is what unflavored gelatin looks like.


After mixing in the yogurt and gelatin, wrap your crockpot in a towel, and leave it
to sit for 10-12 hours (I did mine overnight).


After leaving it to sit overnight.

It's ok for it to be a bit watery, this is normal.

My yogurt!

1 comment:

Wife, Then Mama said...

What an awesome idea! I love to get plain yogurt for the kids I baby-sit to use as a dipping sauce for pretty much everything!