Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Applesauce

For anyone that wanted it... Here's the Betty Crocker Applesauce recipe:

8 tart apples
water (1 cup to 1 quart apples)
1/2 cup sugar
dash of salt
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/8 tsp. grated lemon rind
1/8 cinnamon or nutmeg

Wash, pare, core and slice the apples. Place in a sauce pan. Add water. Simmer until the apples are tender. Stir in remaining ingredients. Taste and add more sugar, if desired. Cook 1 more minute. Serve cold. [It was also pretty good warm] Elegant topped with whipped cream or ice cream.

3 comments:

Kathie said...

Here's a hint, I learned from someone else: If you have a blender or a food processor, don't bother with the paring. Just wash and core, then cook the apples until soft. Run the apples with the peels on them through the blender. If it's too thick I generally add a little apple juice which helps sweeten the product too without adding sugar. This way you save all the nutrition and fiber that's in the peels. It tastes great in my experience and yields a bit more because there's no loss of apple in the paring process.

Homesteader's Wife said...

Thanks for the tip... Just to let you know... I leave the peels on when I make it right then, or to refrigerate. I'm just afraid to freeze it with the peels on. I like the texture of the peels whole in the applesauce.

Amy @ Six Flower Mom said...

Sounds yummy! I prefer no sugar though -- makes a tasty applesauce cake too!