Tuesday, March 10, 2009

More pictures...

More of the pictures that couldn't be posted yesterday...


This is one of the pipes that we found in the garden plot... They are about as long as my lower arm, and bigger than my hand around... They are made of a terra cotta type substance.

:) Here are the first things to grow in the garden! This means that it's ok to have the garden there!!!


Here's the progress of the daffy's as of yesterday, I don't think any more popped open today. They are looking so good!


We went walking to pick up cans today, and found some plants that we don't know what they are so I thought I'd post them on here to see what we can find out. This one is the first. It has velvety leaves.


This is the second. We took a far away picture, as well as a close up. It looks like Bamboo to us, but I've never seen Bamboo green, just dried, and I didn't know if bamboo could grow in our climate. UPDATE: We just answered our own question with this one! Click here for the Missouri Conservationalist Magazine Website where we found out the history of Bamboo in the Ozarks!


And this is the last picture for today. I am trying my hand at hand washing clothes. We didn't have the money to go to the laundromat for a couple weeks, and really need clean clothes. I put hot (boiled) water in the bucket, some of my homemade laundry detergent, then the clothes, then finished off with more boiling water. I swished that alot with a mop handle, then let it sit for a while. Swished some more, then rung them out. The water was disgusting! This picture is at the beginning of the second wash. I decided to try running them through soapy water twice, then rinse several times, then hang dry. Really not as much work as I though it would be. Rather enjoyable, as long as I don't do to much at once. May start doing it for all of our whites at least!

3 comments:

Pauline said...

Hi, Dawn - I'm going to take a stab at identifying the little velvet-leaved plants in your picture. I think they may be "Hen-and-Chicks". We planted them in our yard in Denver,CO. many years ago. They start out as just one plant, then send off short little runners all around it each year - thus the "chicks". Hope that helps!

Blessings - Pauline

Mountainrose said...

The fuzzy leaf is Plantion. Good for making salves. I dont have any recipes though. It grows all over Missouri. The second is what I was told to call snake grass, it's not bamboo. That's about how tall it will grow.( knee high) pops when you pull it apart. I was told it's snake grass cause snakes like to lay in it. grows near swampy areas. You want some Bamboo? send me your snail mail addy and I see if I can get you a couple of stalks to start on your own place. I have a small cane break but am moving soon.

GJBarb said...

Hi Dawn,
I popped over here from FiveFlowerMom to see what's up. Looking at your fuzzy plant - looks like Lamb's Ear. Google that - it will put up purple flowered spikes.
Yes, the reeds are Snake Grass, we used to call them "Indian Pipes' when we were small in Ohio. I think it is also know as horsetail.
Great looking garden start !!!
From ThisGrandma